FRESNO ELDER ABUSE ATTORNEYS
Representing Victims of Elder and Nursing Home Abuse
As the median age of our nation’s population increases, more and more families are facing decisions about the care of older loved ones. While most people would like to personally care for their aging relatives, not everyone has the means and skills to do so. In such cases, family members often choose to place their older loved ones in an assisted living facility.
When we make the difficult decision to place someone in a nursing home, we trust that they will be cared for by well-trained staff. Unfortunately, this is not always the case.
If you suspect an elderly family member is being abused or neglected by their caregiver, you need to act immediately. Your first step should be to remove the person from that caregiver’s care and place them in a safe environment. Your second step should be to contact an experienced elder abuse attorney.
The Law Office of Rick D. Banks has represented Fresno area personal injury victims for over 20 years. Our skilled, compassionate legal team will take a personal interest in your case and provide you with the best representation possible.
Call our offices at (559) 222-4891 to schedule a free consultation.
Signs of Elder abuse
Elder abuse can manifest itself in many forms. It can involve physical abuse, verbal abuse, sexual abuse, psychological abuse, physical neglect, and financial exploitation. Here are the most common signs of abuse to be watchful for:
- Emotional and physical withdrawal
- Listlessness or nervousness
- Unexplained injuries (bruises, cuts, abrasions)
- Appearing frightened, or reluctant to talk
- Disappearance of money or other personal items
- Questionable financial transactions
- Sudden change in body weight
- Soiled clothes or bed clothes
- Sudden changes in wills, deeds, or trusts
Disturbing Statistics about Elder Abuse
Most of us can’t imagine mistreating or exploiting a senior citizen in our care. National statistics, however, paint a disturbing picture. The National Center on Elder Abuse estimates that up to 10 percent of Americans over the age of 65 have suffered abuse or neglect. In the year 2008, authorities investigated nearly 21,000 elder abuse complaints. It is also estimated that only one in 14 cases of elder abuse is ever reported to the proper authorities.
Filing an Elder Abuse Lawsuit
Filing an elder abuse lawsuit can be tricky for the following reasons:
- If the abuser is a child or close relative, the abused person may be reluctant to make a statement
- Many elderly people suffer from dementia or have lost the ability to communicate effectively
- Most assisted care facilities are run by large, wealthy, corporations. They have the money and attorneys to make litigation a lengthy and expensive process
If you suspect an elderly loved one is suffering abuse of any kind, you need to contact an experienced Fresno personal injury attorney. The Law Office of Rick D. Banks has represented central California elder abuse victims and their families for over 20 years.
For the sake of you and your loved one, call (559) 222-4891 for a free consultation.